I bought a stereo and the speakers were bigger than the ones I’d planned to get – so I built a cabinet/shelf for them.
The cabinet was specifically designed to:
- be cheap & easy
- be stable & well-balanced
- have a small footprint, and be invisible
- provide access to cables for the TV
- allow airflow over the TV to prevent overheating
It was cut from a single sheet of 900 x 600 x 9 plywood. All joints are glued butt joints with the butt surfaces oriented vertically, so that the glue takes almost no load.
There were a few thicknesses of plywood available so I made up a quick model in solidworks (with the thickness as a variable) and ran an FEA based on the speaker weight plus a bit extra – solidworks FEA isn’t the most accurate but it was good enough to check my numbers. The first set of results weren’t great so I added gussets below the top shelf:
The gussets brought the max deflection down to ~100 micron which is probably overkill!
In total, the project took an hour of planning, $15 of timber and paint, and a few afternoons of work. Overall a success!